Knowing the facts about stroke can help you to respond appropriately in the event that someone suffers from a stroke. It can make a difference between life and death. Here are some common misconceptions about stroke:
1. Myth 1: When you experience stroke symptoms, you should go to your family doctor ASAP
Stroke is an emergency. If you experience stroke symptoms, call for an emergency ambulance and go straight to a hospital emergency department.
2. Myth 2: If stroke symptoms resolve after a few minutes, there is no need to seek medical attention
3. Myth 3: The number to call for an emergency ambulance is 911 or 999
The emergency ambulance number in Singapore is 995.
4. Myth 4: Stroke is a disease of the heart
Stroke is a brain attack. It occurs when the blood supply to the brain is impaired by blockage or bursting of a brain blood vessel.
5. Myth 5: Stroke is uncommon
1 in 6 people will suffer from stroke in their lifetime.