- This event has passed.
Sat, 18 Jun : Young Stroke Survivor Support Group (On-site)
June 18, 2022 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
SNSA is reaching out to all young stroke survivors to attend the Young Stroke Survivor Support Group. You will get to suggest the activities that you would like to participate in while developing fellowship. This month survivors will get to try para-canoeing.
Location: Meet at SNSA, Braddell House. Transport has been arranged to ferry participants to and from canoeing location.
Target Number of Participants: Max 8 stroke survivors.
*Participants have to meet all criteria mentioned below. Registration is required. Click on the link below to register.
Requirements to Join
● Interested in paracanoeing
● Has a written clearance from a doctor to participate in paracanoeing. This is to be submitted to
SNSA by 16 Jun.
● Able to tolerate sitting out for 2 hours without shelter
● Able to tolerate floor to chair transfer with not more than 2-man assistance
● Able to change out of wet attire and manage toileting independently or with assistance (caregiver is
required to be present throughout session)
You Should Not Join If You Have:
● Fear of water/sea
● Epilepsy/seizures which is not well controlled
● Feeling unwell
● Cognitive/visual/hearing impairment that affect the participant’s ability to manage a canoe
Items to bring
Stroke survivors are recommended to bring their own water bottles, sun-block (if needed),fresh set of clothes to change into after canoeing, and 1 – 2 rolls of bandages if they have upper limb hemiparesis/hemiplegia
● Stroke survivors will gather at SNSA Braddell House in an attire that is suitable for para- canoeing, i.e. comfortable to paddle in.
● Stroke survivors to board bus to head to Paddle Lodge @ MacRitchie
● SCF Paracanoeing Volunteer/s will conduct on-land training on how to get on/off a canoe, hold the paddle, simple paddling techniques and precautions during para-canoeing.
● Volunteers will work with stroke survivors and caregivers to explore adaptations if needed, e.g. bandages.
● Each stroke survivor will be paired with a volunteer to be on the same canoe.
● Stroke survivors will be assisted by volunteers to get into the canoes.
● Stroke survivors will paddle around the designated area in the MacRitchie Reservoir under the guidance of the volunteers.
● After session, participants will be ferried back to SNSA, Braddell House.
Register here: https://tinyurl.com/2p94es5u